Hopping on in Pune!

 
William Shakespeare has said ‘What is the city but the people?’
 
A city is known by its people. We tend to identify and map a city’s culture on the behavior and attitude of its denizens.
 
The other day I was in Pune to give a presentation on a new statute for prevention of sexual harassment. The venue for the event was a 5 star hotel close to the airport. After landing in the city, the first thought was to hire a radio taxi, as we do in other cities. However, very soon I realized that there were none that were available. There was a single counter for cabs and that too informed me that I would need to wait for 15 minutes. I had the option to move to the prepaid taxi counter, but the long queue deterred me. I also observed that it moved slowly and by the time the man at the cab counter called me, I would have still been in the queue. Now that I had the cab I took the receipt and stepped out in the scorching April heat. With a suit it felt hotter once I got in the cab. I had to ask the cabbie to switch on the air-conditioning, something cabs in Delhi usually do before picking up a passenger. Even after a couple of minutes or so, I was still sweating and impatiently checked with the cabbie if he had in fact put on the cooling machine. He gave me a stern look and merely said ‘Yes’. Before I had any time to react, we had reached my destination and he promptly switched off the ignition. By the time he wrote the receipt and I paid, I was feeling more uncomfortable. The thought of entering the cool hotel kept me going.
 
At the security check, to my utter surprise, the guard was unable to grasp the client’s name or the reference to any seminar, but directed me to their conference rooms. There was no mention on any of the notice boards as I approached the seminar halls. And then came the revelation, the attendant mentioned that no such event was scheduled here but they had another hotel under the same brand name located a few blocks away. On calling up the client contact, she clarified that indeed it was the other hotel. I went to the reception to get a shuttle to the other hotel. More surprises were in store. The lady at the reception gave me some hope and immediately directed me to the transport desk. The transport desk mentioned that although the two hotels shared the same brand name, the management was different and no shuttle system being in place, I would have to shell out Rs. 750 plus taxes for the short ride!
 
What do you think I would have done? Within seconds I was out on the roads ambling towards the main road to hail an auto rickshaw. I reached the crossing and waited for the traffic lights to change. By now my spotless white shirt was drenched. Once on the other side, to assure myself that I was on the right track, I asked a couple of cabbies. None of them could give a response. With no empty auto in sight, I asked a bike rider. On hearing my destination he immediately and without hesitation said ‘Hop on’! I was taken aback and looked quizzical. He elaborated that he was going the same way and asked me to ride pillion. And I did hop on...something which I dare not do in Delhi! Within 2 minutes he had dropped me in front of the correct hotel. I thanked him profusely.
 
I had the occasion to experience the indomitable spirit of Punekars! This is what I have always loved about this charming city. Its spirit for accommodating newcomers and reaching out to them is overwhelming. It reminded me of my college days around a decade ago. Even then giving and taking lifts was very common and I have myself taken lifts on numerous occasions from friends and strangers alike!
 
 The guard at the entrance of the 5 star, though had a perplexed look and seemed unsure and a little reluctant to let in this person wearing a suit & tie who had just hopped off a bike!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Chopsuey in Delhi!

If you’re done with driving, hop on!!

Dunkin' Donuts Selling Contaminated Donuts?